Arlington Law Group works with companies in all industries and assists them with a wide variety of corporate transactions.
We guide clients through the complexities of Mergers, Stock and Asset Purchases and Sales, Recapitalizations, Joint Ventures, Fund Raising (from owners or from investors with private placements), Divestitures and Dissolutions. Our well-rounded and diversified experience helping companies of various business structures allows our firm to tailor the scope of our legal representation to fit your organization’s budget and legal needs.
Buying a Business
At Arlington Law Group, we work hard to ensure that our clients have access to the information that they need in order to make prudent decisions regarding whether to purchase a business. Buying a company is exciting for our clients, but can be a daunting and complex task riddled with potential pitfalls. We assist clients from the very beginning of the acquisition process, helping to ensure that costly mistakes are avoided and that risk is minimized.
We assist our clients at every stage of a business acquisition:
- We coordinate with our clients to conduct a thorough due diligence review that is tailored to the industry of the target company by reviewing and summarizing the relevant information relating to a target company’s characteristics, including, among other things, its assets, liabilities, corporate structure, legal history, employment related matters, owned and leased property, and federal and state tax status.
- We draft Letters of Intent (LOIs) and Purchase Agreements, as well as all other necessary documents to close such transactions.
- We negotiate with sellers on behalf of our clients in order to find middle ground on contentious issues and reach outcomes that are mutually satisfactory to both parties.
- We help with post-closing matters, including assisting with filing any necessary forms with, and obtaining any required licenses from, applicable state and local governmental agencies, tax and lien clearances and escrows.
- Throughout the acquisition process, we coordinate with landlords and help to obtain financing from banks and/or the Small Business Administration (SBA).
If you have already purchased a corporation, limited liability company or other business, we can still assist you by acting as your company’s general counsel by providing regular advice on the issues that arise with respect to your newly acquired business. Our services include contract review and preparation, the management of employment related issues and the negotiation of commercial real estate leases. If you have employees or independent contractors, then we can also assist you by drafting employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, and an employee handbook that clearly communicates guidelines for employee behavior and responsibilities.
If you would like to discuss how we can assist you with a potential acquisition of a business or with the legal aspects of a recently purchased business, please contact us.
Selling a Business
Selling your company can be an excellent way to liquidate your assets and free yourself to pursue other opportunities. However, it is important that your sale proceeds and next endeavor are protected from any residual obligations or liabilities from your previous business.
Arlington Law Group can work with you through all stages of the sale of your business, in order to ensure that the intended change of ownership proceeds as quickly and smoothly as possible. For example:
- From the moment you receive your first purchase offer, we are here to help you value your business and figure out what legal documentation you would need in order to both consummate the proposed transaction and protect your legal interests.
- We help you determine what type of sale structure (i.e., stock sale, asset sale or merger) will best serve your legal and financial interests and will assist you with negotiating the purchase agreement and formalizing the exact terms of the proposed transaction.
- We protect your legal interests and assets by helping to ensure that any representations, warranties and other obligations contained in the purchase agreement and related documents are clearly understood and agreed to by both parties.
- We coordinate with landlords in order to assign lease agreements and release any personal guarantees to which clients may have previously agreed.
If you would like to discuss options for the sale of your company, please contact us.
Arlington Law Group Can Help!
Whether you are considering buying a business, selling a business, merging with another company or conducting some other form of corporate reorganization, it is important to protect yourself from financial and legal risk. Arlington Law Group provides you with legal guidance to help you to ensure that you avoid some of the common pitfalls associated with these types of transactions. We will strive to offer you a personalized, tailored approach to address to your legal needs. To find out more about how our firm can help you, please contact us.